- Name of organisation
The organisation is called Graphic Design Educators’ Network. It is formed by:
- Tracy Allanson-Smith, Birmingham City University
- Nigel Aono-Bilson, Norwich University of the Arts
- Justin Burns, Leeds Beckett University
- Paul Bailey, University of the Arts London
- James Corazzo, Sheffield Hallam University
- Lucy Brown, Staffordshire University
- Kirsten Hardie, Arts University Bournemouth
- Robert Harland, Loughborough University
- Phil Healey, Middlesex University
- Will Hill, Anglia Ruskin University
- Olwen Moseley, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Darren Raven, University of Salford
- Ian Sharman, University of Edinburgh
- Catherine Smith, University of the Arts London
- Jamie Steane, Northumbria University
Advocate graphic design education by developing, sharing and cultivating:
- research and scholarship
- discussion, collaboration and events
- respect for plurality of practice
- links with collaborators
- Dialogic, reflexive community of practice
- Professional space for pedagogical development and research
- Graphic design educators and researchers
- Graphic design students
- Industry institutions and partners
- Media organisations
- Higher education institutions
- Academic bodies
- Other associations
- Respect of differences in people and practices
- Transparency and mutual exchange of information
- Excellence, vision, purpose, and innovation in learning and teaching
The Graphic Design Educators’ Network has a commitment to excellence in Graphic Design learning and teaching and to promote this within the wider HE community. This will be achieved through:
- Share and disseminate examples of learning and teaching
- Build and develop a depository of open graphic projects
- Inspire and advance academic debate, scholarship, research, and new knowledge about learning, teaching and the contexts of the discipline
- Build and develop partnerships, forums and networking opportunities
- Facilitate external examiner and other cross-HEI educational opportunities
Membership is open to all HEIs involved in the delivery of Graphic Design Education in the UK – no apostrophe in HEIs
- Management Committee
The management committee of the Graphic Design Educators Network is the Committee (FC).
5.1 Formative Committee Membership and election
- Membership of the Committee shall consist of a minimum twelve members elected from the Graphic Design Higher Education community
- Candidates for all offices can be nominated and self-nominated. A voting process will involve all Committee members.
- The Committee can co-opt normally two further full-voting members to serve until their task is complete.
- Terms of Office to be normally 3 years, renewable once by election for a further three years.
- The Committee can propose a general election in circumstances where committee numbers fall below the norm.
- A review of Committee members will happen at the end of each academic year and a call for new Committee members will take place in time for the first meeting in the Autumn term of the new academic year.
It is suggested that this constitution be reviewed periodically to coincide with the election of a new Graphic Design Educators’ Network Chair.
5.2 Graphic Design Educators’ Network Committee Officers
- There shall be eight Officer posts: Chair; Deputy Chair; Secretary; Treasurer; Membership; Communications; Fundraising/ Sponsorship; Events
- Candidates are nominated / self-nominated from the Graphic Design Educators’ community.
- The normal period of office of Officers shall be three years renewable.
- The terms of Chair and Deputy Chair shall be arranged not to be co-terminus.
5.3 Powers of Formative
On behalf of Graphic Design Educators’ Network membership the Committee shall have the following powers:
- to raise revenue
- to receive contributions through fees
- to bid for grant funding
- to employ paid staff or recruit volunteers;
- to buy or rent premises/equipment
- to organize an annual symposium and other related events
- to conduct research
- to work in partnership with different organisations, nationally and internationally
- to represent the views of the Graphic Design Educators’ Network membership
- There shall be normally four meetings per year, plus an Annual General Meeting. The Committee will decide venues for meetings. Suggest 3+1
- All members shall be given at least fourteen (14) days’ notice of when a meeting is due to take place, unless it is deemed as an emergency.
- At least half of committee members must be present in order for a meeting to take place and be quorate (the Chair or Deputy Chair must be one of these)
- It shall be the responsibility of the Chair to chair all meetings or a designated deputy in his/her absence.
- All meetings must be minuted and the minutes must be made accessible to all committee members and interested parties.
- AGM and additional Meetings
- There shall be an annual symposium for members. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall normally be held at the symposium.
- The Committee may, from time to time, organise additional events designed to serve the purposes of members.
- At least fourteen (14) days’ notice must be given before any meeting takes place.
- All members are entitled to vote at the AGM. Voting shall be made by a show of hands on a majority basis. In the case of a tied vote, the Chair or an appointed deputy shall make the final decision.
Income and expenditure shall be administered by an independent account, overseen by the appointed Treasurer. Authority to spend funds shall require the agreement of a majority of the Committee or two Officers on behalf of the Committee.
- Amendments to the constitution
Amendments to the constitution shall only be considered at a General meeting open to all Formative members and normally held at the Annual Symposium. Amendments must be proposed and seconded by two current Committee members. Changes to the constitution require a two-thirds majority of eligible members. The Committee shall decide whether the vote is conducted amongst those present at the General meeting or needs to go to the full membership.
The Graphic Design Educators’ Network may be dissolved if deemed necessary by its members in a majority vote at a special meeting. Any assets or remaining funds after debts have been paid shall be returned to their providers or transferred to local charities or similar groups at the discretion of the Committee.